What is a whole foods plant based diet?



Since I was young I've been interested in the power of nutrition in promoting good health.  While this doesn't stop me from snacking on the occasional slice of pizza or a cookie from time to time, it does influence the majority of my daily food choices.  Over the past 4 months I've transitioned to a whole foods plant based diet, meaning I've ditched all animal products, processed foods, and oils.  With the abandonment of these foods, I'm free to fill up on fruits, veggies, whole grains, nuts, seeds and legumes instead.

Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, and legumes form the basis of a whole food plant based diet.*


Isn't that just a vegan diet?


Like vegans, people who follow a whole foods plant based diet steer clear of meat, eggs, butter, milk, cheese, honey, and all other food products derived from animal sources. However, there are a few key differences that set these lifestyles apart.

First off, veganism extends beyond diet into all forms of consumption.  In addition to avoiding eating animal products, vegans do not purchase, wear, or use any animal products.  Within the vegan community, there is a high degree of group influence to only patronize ethical, animal friendly brands (Babin/Harris, p. 157).  While people who follow a whole foods plant based diet may also be motivated by ethical concerns, it is not an essential characteristic of those following the diet.  So, while you won't see a vegan walking down the street in a leather jacket, a person following a whole foods plant based diet could very well do so.

Another key difference is the types of non-animal based foods permitted within each diet.  When following a vegan diet, any foods without animal products are permitted.  This means that white bread, soda pop, refined sugar, and other definitively unhealthy products are A-OK under standard vegan guidelines.  A whole foods plant based diet, on the other hand, says au revoir to these enemies of good health.  Refined and processed foods (like white flour, oil, and refined sugar) are huge no no's on a whole foods plant based diet which, as the name suggests, centers around whole, unprocessed, plant foods.  The behaviors of people following a whole foods plant based diet can be described by the regulatory focus theory, as these individuals seek to both maintain a state of good health while improving their wellbeing (Babin/Harris, p. 92).  This is not to say that a vegan diet is automatically less healthy than a whole foods plant based diet, rather it simply notes that a vegan diet allows for the potential of less healthy food choices.

What's the point of all these restrictions?


Being greatly motivated by personal health and fitness, I'm always looking to fine tune my nutritional intake to maximize my results.  Prior to adopting this diet, I always ate what I thought to be a healthy diet.  I frequently consumed chicken, eggs, and yogurt mistakenly thinking the protein would fuel good health.  Since discovering the whole foods plant based diet, I've noticed incredible results.  With increased energy, strength, and endurance, I am reaching new heights in my athletic endeavors and feel generally more focused, calm, and happy.  Experiencing these gratifying benefits creates hedonic motivation for me to stay engaged with a whole foods plant based diet (Babin/Harris, p. 93).

Since adopting a whole foods plant based diet, I've experienced increased physical strength and endurance, positive mood, enhanced focus, and better sleep.*


Additionally, with the high quantities of plant foods I consume, I am constantly flushing my system with vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals.  These components have all been proven to prevent, and even cure, a plethora of diseases and ailments (Fuhrman, p. 62).  By eliminating harmful fats, cholesterol, and animal proteins that have been shown to promote disease, I am optimizing my body's ability maintain health (Fuhrman, p. 85).  More specific information about the scientifically proven health benefits of a plant based diet (and evidence of the dangers of animal products and processed foods) can be found here.  I am driven to continue following this diet because I am largely influenced by self-improvement motivation (Babin/Harris, p. 91).  I am constantly looking to better myself, and taking charge of my internal health and physical fitness is a primary way of doing so.

Are you interested in the whole foods plant based diet?  Pop over to the Plant Based Cooking blog for some tasty recipe ideas or, for more information on the specifics and science behind the benefits of a whole foods plant based diet, check out these resources:

The China Study by T. Colin Campbell and Thomas M. Campbell II
Buy here. **

Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman
Buy here. **



Image credits:

*Images from unsplash.com, assembled into graphic by author.
**Images from amazon.com.

Sources:

Babin, B., & Harris, E. (2016). CB: Consumer Behavior: Student edition 7. Stamford: Cengage Learning.

Fuhrman, J. (2003). Eat to Live.  Boston: Little Brown and Company.



Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firstly, I found the layout of your blog to be extremely eye-catching, making great use of colors, pictures, and spacing. Secondly, as someone who is interested in healthy living/eating, I really enjoyed reading this post! I've been a vegetarian since I was born, and I find it funny when people assume that my diet is healthy merely because I don't eat meat. However, being a vegetarian means I can still eat pizza, ice cream, sugar, and many other things that aren't considered healthy. Because of this, I found it interesting when you elaborated on the differences between a whole-foods diet and a vegan diet. Although I'm a vegetarian for religious purposes, some of my friends who are vegetarian/vegan have cut out meat in order to be seen as someone who is "healthy" and "fit," feeding into their ideal social life (Angell, 09/20/2017). However, like me, they may eat a lot of unhealthy foods that fall under the non-meat category. You, however, seem to use a whole-foods diet to self-actualize, and achieve a higher sense of well-being (Angell, 09/18/2017). So far, you are doing a great job of applying consumer behavior topics to a unique topic, and I am looking forward to reading your next post!

    Angell, A. (2017, September 20). CB Chapter 6 Personality Lifestyles and Self Concept. Lecture Presented at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.

    Angell, A. (2017, September 18). CB Chapter 3, 4, and 5 Perception, Learning, and Motivation. Lecture Presented at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Hi Caroline,

    Being a very health cautious person and a fitness advocate myself; I was drawn to your blog just through the title. My dad for months now has been sending me articles on the all the benefits plant based diets have to offer. However being a huge supporter in lean proteins, I always end up ignoring the emails. He even sent me an all plant-based cookbook to my house at school and I have yet to try any new recipes. After reading your post on all the benefits a whole foods plant based diet has to offer though, I was really inspired to start doing more research on it. I really value my physical and mental wellbeing; therefore I think this lifestyle would be very beneficial for me. My only concern is that with my busy schedule, having such limited options of what to eat could be a problem. Sometimes being able to consume products outside of this diet, such as yogurt, is more practical and easier to fulfill my utilitarian needs (Angell, 2017). Also, living on a college campus with so many amazing restaurants and friends who enjoy good food, I am constantly surrounded by external and group influences (Babin & Harris, p.157). Despite these concerns, I think the internal benefits a plant-based diet has to offer are a great motivation for me to obtain this new diet (Angell, 2017).

    Thank you so much for the inspiration!




    Angell, A. (2017, September 18). Perception, Motivation, Comprehension. Lecture presented in University of Michigan.

    Babin, B., & Harris, E. (2016). CB: Consumer Behavior: Student edition 7. Stamford: Cengage Learning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Caroline,

    Thanks for sharing! I also follow a vegan/plant-based diet. Like you, I was initially driven by my self-improvement motivation to feel better and look better.
    I really appreciated your expertise on the subject, particularly when you discussed the "group influence" in the vegan community. For a long time, I was very hesitant to call myself vegan because of the stigma-- as though it was an out-group (Babin/Harris p. 156). While I followed vegan diet and tried my best to avoid any animal products or byproducts, I feared what members of my primary group (family/friends/roommates) would say. It wasn't until I met one my best friends last year who was vegan/plant-based that I felt like an in-group member (Babin/Harris p. 155). To my surprise, most people I am close to and meet are very supportive and receptive. I am curious to know how your primary groups responded to your lifestyle change. If you're interested in plant-based foods out and about Ann Arbor check out my blog post https://veganwolverine.blogspot.com/.

    Thanks again for sharing and I look forward to reading your next post.

    Babin, B., & Harris, E. (2016). CB: Consumer Behavior: Student edition 7. Stamford: Cengage Learning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! You blog was the perfect length to keep the readers attention. I have been interested in alternative diets and I had never heard of the whole foods diet before. I feel that a lot of vegans may be avoiding over-processed foods and refined sugars and not even realize that they are actually more closely following a whole foods diet. You mention that you previously consumed eggs and yogurt. I understand you may have very good reasons to cut out dairy but yogurt also has important probiotics which could greatly protect gut health! I will be checking out the recipes on the plant-based cooking website. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts